Sunday, July 12, 2009

A tribute to my dad

My dad turned 93 on Friday and the family celebrated by having a large family reunion on Saturday. My brother Jerry put together an amazing collage of my dad's life and I was wowed by it.

Imagine for a minute living 93 years. One of my nephews who is packing as much adventure in his life as possible said, "I'm modeling my life after my fantasy of Grandpa's life. Look at how many phases of life he packed into one." Looking at the pictures, I got what he meant. He was in the 3C's during the depression, a Corporal in WW2, worked in the canneries in Alaska, worked picking fruit in Eastern Washington during the dust bowl years, became an executive at Boeing when the 747's were just coming out, bought a farm in central Oregon, opened his own auto parts business and volunteered as a park ranger at Lake Mead. (Not to mention adopting me when he was in his fifties and married my mother!) What an amazing full life he had. Here are some pix. Can you tell during which phase he was called the Clark Gable of Alaska? LOL













Happy Birthday, Dad! I love you!

3 comments:

Cherlyn Michaels said...

great tribute. and it is so awesome to have history in the household and to be able to receive it firsthand.

Annie said...

Beautiful!

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Wow! That's beautiful. And how lucky are you to have a Dad like that!