Thursday, April 26, 2007

Now that we know...

Lung cancer. My mom has lung cancer. And she quit smoking over 28 years ago.

Well, crap.

That really pisses me off. All the trouble of depriving yourself for 28 years and you get lung cancer anyway? I would just like to say here-- NOT FAIR!

They can't see the tumor yet, but know it's there and is already sending out mean little cancer tumors. There may be one in her thyroid too. So two weeks of radiation then a round of chemo. It will kill her eventually. The question is...how long. No one knows.

My biological father died two years ago of lung cancer. How much you wanna bet that no one will give me a life insurance policy? I feel like a damn time bomb.

My parents will be moving up here to be near me and OHSU. I'm happy about that. I'd hate for them to be five hours away where I can't help them.

So that's the final word. I think I'll be done blogging about it for a while. I'm depressing myself here. I just want to blog about my writing life. I still actually have one. Finished an article yesterday and my editor loved it. I sent out the DASH partial and hope that HQ editors loves it. Got two critiques on my LIPS revision and need to get that out next week. Need to catch up on my articles. That sort of thing. I like blogging about stuff like that.

5 comments:

The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

Teri, I'm so sorry. I know those mere words don't sound anywhere near as impactful as they should, especially considering what you and your family are facing, but please know the sentiment is so much more heartfelt. You all will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I'll light a candle for your Mom this Sunday, too.

Christina

Kerry Blaisdell said...

I know the feeling. But sometimes, you have to talk about the saucepans that hit you, in order to move on and talk about something else. Hang in there, and fingers crossed on all your revisions and submissions!

stephhale said...

Teri,
I'm so sorry. Anytime you want to vent about whatever we are here. Hugs!
xo,
Steph
ps-Good luck with the proposal!

Lexi said...

Ouch! I'm sorry too. It sux, but I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers too.

Keep us updated on the writing life! Sounds like you're keeping busy with it. Maybe that can give you some comfort.

Rachel Vincent said...

Oh, Teri, I'm so incredibly sorry. But I have to say that your family is unbelievably lucky to have you to lean on.

My best to your mother and your entire family.