Monday, April 02, 2007

Teens and teen lit

My life begs the question: Who are these people and what the H&%* are they doing in my house?

That's the question I asked as my dh and I sat out on the curb last night sharing a Sam Adams lager. It was actually nice, to be sitting out on the curb with the man I married. Sort of like we had been transported back to 1989 when we first fell in love. But the problems were real. TEENS!

Don't get me wrong, I have comparatively GREAT teens. We are extraordinarily close and they don't drink, do drugs, lie or skip school. I am grateful for them. Sorta. Because they are not grateful toward us in the least. No, we are the idiots who stop them from having fun and expect things from them. I remember being a teen. I understand. That doesn't mean I don't get to say who are these people and why do they eat all our food, spend all our money and tell us we suck?????

And why are teen girls so flipping dramatic?? Like I said before, "too old to spank and too young to bitch slap."

Ahem.

Oh, and I started my first Scott Westerfield this weekend. Uglies. All I have to say is: Oh. My Gawd.

He is blowing my freaking mind. I've read three new books since the beginning of the year. All by talented authors. But not one of them did to me what this book has done. The voice is so fresh. The story so freaking compelling. It's all I think about. If it weren't for having the wee ones I would be done already, deadlines be damned. It's that good.

Go buy it and read it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it when a book affects me that way :)

Rachel Vincent said...

Ha! I read Uglies on Saturday and bought Pretties today because I loved the first one so much!

That's quite a coincidence. ;-)

Lexi said...

Go and buy it? I just might! Thanks for the suggestion.

Trish Milburn said...

I just read my first Scott Westerfeld novel too, but it was The Secret Hour, the first in the Midnighters series. Really enjoyed it. Very interesting and unique concept.

Kristen Painter said...

I keep meaning to read Uglies. I'm working my way through the Dresden Files, so maybe that will be next.