Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Hump Day

I have found that Hump Days are generally more frantic than even Mondays. My daughter works on Weds nights, youth council meets every other Weds and youth group is every Weds. We run from one place to another generally grabbing food out somewhere and eating in the car on our way to the next place. Zoo is on Weds morning and the ice princess has a lesson on Weds which really starts out the day hot.

I am glad my children are so involved, I am. I never wanted my children to have to wait till they were 18 to do something meaningful with their lives. I feel like that is what I did as a kid. Wait till the school day was over. Wait till the weekend was there. Wait till summer vacation. Wait till I graduated. One of the reasons I homeschooled my kids is because I didn't want school to be their whole life. Some people, for one reason or another, will never see the graduation day they waited so longingly for. Waited too long to start their real life. Now there are kids who seem to be able to juggle a meaningful life(volunteer work, clubs, job) with the rigors of school and still learn what they need to learn, but I was not one of those kids. Neither is my messy, disorganized son. My driven daughter probably could. I know one lovely 17-year-old ice skater who skates, holds down two jobs and still does AP classes. She is wired that way. Many people are not. They are the ones who may fail classes and day dream during the time they should be organizing their calendar. They are the ones that need more time to mature. Should they be penalized for not being mini adults? Or should they be taught that they can do meaningful work they are passionate about right now. Passion often motivates. For some kids, school does not create passion and does not motivate. That's why I homeschool. I figured the odds were good that I would have one like me.

I didn't mean to get started, I really didn't. I meant to say that I am glad my kids are so involved but sometimes it is a major PIA!

Ha!

I got three assignments in the last couple of days and tons of magazine work to do. Also... I did eight pages on the novel yesterday! So close to being done!

3 comments:

Rachel Vincent said...

I honestly don't know how you do it, Teri. If I didn't have several hours of free time every day, I'd never get anything done. As it is, soccer days are pretty much a complete loss for me.

I need better time management skills.

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo on the 8 pages, Teri :) Good point about passion being a great motivator.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Way to go on the 8 pgs!