Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The problem with plotting

I'm so glad that different people plot in different ways. I struggled with plotting the first skate book, probably because it was fairly new to me. My other two books were done completely on the spur of the moment. Ha!That's probably why they were crap! Colorless was fairly easy to plot, but of course, we all know what happened with that one. But this one is being weird. The first four chapters were easy to plot out. I sat down with my little 3x5 cards and scribbled away, inspiration flowing through my fingertips. Then I reached chapter five and it all just... stopped. I have bits and pieces, but nothing coming together into a cohesive whole. Ideas I have. Plot...not so much. So I decided to go ahead and start writing today. Sometimes it takes a few chapters to really get to know the characters. Again I struggled with what POV I should write in? First or third POV? I decided on first.

Firmly.

That lasted the first page and a half and I went back and changed it to third. Sorry, I just can't do it. I enjoy reading it, I just can't write it. It feels all... wrong!

After that it really seemed to go pretty well. I'm on page six and hope to make eight tonight. I like it so far. I think I might really like this girl. She's gutsy. But then, she's deaf. She'd have to be.

I love starting a new book. The possibilities are endless! So exciting!

3 comments:

Shannon McKelden said...

Way to go on the pages, Teri! I got about 4 done today. ;-) Finishing up with chapter 3, but now I'm sick and have zero motivation. Grrr....

Shannon

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo on the pages, Teri :)

Rachel Vincent said...

I'm happy for you. And I need some of your motivation...