Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Close Calls

I spent most of yesterday in the hospital. My very best friend (the one who I had spent the night with eating and watching chick flicks just a few nights before) called me Sunday night. She was in the emergency room with her hubby. They were thinking appendicitus. Yesterday early, I got another call. It wasn't an appendicitus. She was now in ICU. It was diverticulitus and they had almost lost him during the night. He was going in for emergency surgery. I threw on my clothes and left a list for my own dh telling him who had to be where when and then I jetted over to the hospital. I could see her fear. Heck, I could smell it and it matched my own.

What if something happened? What if he didn't make it through the surgery? Her son is 16 and daughter 13. They live in the basement of her FIL's home to help take care of him and the farm. Not to mention losing your life mate of 18 years.

He made it through surgery and the outlook is very good. He should be fine. But no warning, no nothing. You life just changes in an instant. Makes me want to hug everyone.

But I have to tell you, I came home and appreciated the hell out of my husband.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have the absolute best outlook on life. ;-)

I'm glad your friend's husband is going to be okay. I can't imagine what they all went through.

chatkat said...

She is very fortunate to have you as her friend. And yes, praise the Lord he made it through. What a blessing you are!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your friend's husband is going to be okay, Teri.

Unknown said...

OK. I'm going to go cuddle all my boys now :) Glad it worked out, but still.

Lexi said...

Life is precious and far too short.