Saturday, October 14, 2006

My Muse is Mad at Me

Iv'e tried to talk to her on several occasions. She ignores me. Every page of chapter three of HOT is torture and I know why.

The past couple of weeks has been spent in a flurry of nonfiction madness. I finished four articles this week. Four. But I don't need my muse for nonfiction, so whenever I try to work on HOT she completely disdains me. I try to lure her back with promises of roses, chocolates, and undying devotion, but she no longer believes my promises.

She merely raises an eyebrow and turns her back on me. She has pronounced me fickle.

She obviously doesn't have a mortgage payment.

I should threaten her with Nano. That would get her back. Last time I did that we both worked overtime and she nearly went mad. But it did bring us closer together.

Oddly enough, I have never put it together that the more I write fiction the more comfortable and compliant she is. When I let other things get in the way, she goes on vacation.

So I am going to go plod away on this chapter without her. And we all know how difficult that is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, that sucks.

My muse (during those times when I actually believe in her) is impatient. If it takes me more than a couple of day sto write any one scene, she's gone. No help. The most I can hope for is that she'll show up for the rewrites just to make me look stupid by pointing out what a clod I am without her.

Good luck!

Lexi said...

Good luck getting her back on your side!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

ROFL, Teri. Boy, do I know how that feels.

Anonymous said...

Muses can be difficult. Sending you good luck vibes :)

The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

Mine is partial to a nice glass of wine, which is why I finally had to design that cafepress t-shirt of mine that says "I think my muse has been drinking again." LOL! Sometimes a nice massage appointment works too...although, then she usually just wants a nap first. ;-)

Christina