Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I got news!

Not the news I wanted cause it is both good and bad. But, I will just concentrate on the good. Berkly passed on ON THE EDGE. They said it was too young for them. (I really thought the editor would go for it because she's a big skate fan, but no. I think it's too sweet. More on that in a minute.)

Aladdin/Simon and Schuster passed... because it was too old for them. But the editor for Aladdin loved it so much she mentioned it to an editor at Simon pulse who called the agent and requested it. The editor told my agent, and this is a direct quote... " I thought it was compulsively readable, and that Teri did a nice job of weaving behind-the-scenes of skating life with a juicy, soapy story."

That will keep me going through the next round of rejections!

On to the sweet thing. Skate girls are sweet. Not that they can't be competitive bitches, they can and I show that. But they are a bit slow on the growing up side of things because they don't have the time. The skating community is filled with late bloomers, coaches who were late bloomers and helicopter parents. My daughter, at fifteen, is the first one of her crowd to have a boyfriend... when she showed up with a small hicky, you would have thought that she was turning tricks on Broadway from the reaction she got from the her two coaches and a couple of the other girls. She's already shown it to me in that proud, but embarassed way that you have when first love is blossoming, and I had to do major damage control between her and her coaches. GAWD! I didn't think it was that big of a deal. And this is my main audience. Yes, I will be reaching teens who dream of skating, but in order to depict these girls honestly and not offend the intended audience, I have to write them sweet. Parents will be buying these books for their girls.

I can write edgy and don't have a problem with that, though I doubt I will ever have teens having rampant sex. But this particular book is about 15-17 year old late bloomers. So, I might have a really hard time finding a publisher who understands that.

Okay, off to read the quote some more and get some work done!

6 comments:

Rachel Vincent said...

That really is great news, Teri, because everyone who has passed has passed because it didn't fit their lines, right? Not because of the writing. So there are lots of people out there who know your name, and know that you can really write. Even if it doesn't happen for this book, it will for another.

Congrats on the new request!

Jill Monroe said...

The more I think of late blooming going with girls, the more I think this is the sport for my children.

That is an awesome story about the request. Wow. I'm sending all kinds of good vibes your way!!!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Great news, Teri!

But OMG. 15 with a hickey is a late bloomer??? Man, I've been out of it too long. At 15 I think I'd been kissed once. (Note to self: Lock daughter in bedroom until she's 25.)

Anonymous said...

Sending you good vibes on the new request, Teri :)

Lexi said...

Wow, Teri! Celebrate! That's great news. Like Rachel said they're passing cause it doesn't fit, not on your writing. Keep pluggin'. It's only a matter of time!

Jaci Burton said...

Wow, what a wonderful compliment on your story, Teri! And good luck on the next round. It sounds like it was mainly a 'fit' problem, not a writing issue. Woo hooo! I love the sound of this story!