Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Books and Giving Back

Reading Nancy Viau's pledge to give a dollar for each individual comment to the National Park fund, got me to thinking. How many authors use their books as a platform for change. I think this happens a lot more in nonfiction than fiction, but novelist like Nancy do it, as well.

Nina Nelson, who wrote, Bringing the Boy Home, a middle grade book set in the Amazon rain forest, is giving a portion of her profits to the Amazon Conservation Team (ACT).

Jeanne Ralston, Author of The Unlikely Lavender Queen, is giving a portion of her Amazon profit to various charities, including a Lavender Farm in Mexico. You can read more about it here.

So what do you think about writing and giving back? Do you think people could get jaded about it being just a promotional tool, or is it a good way to combine passions with altruism?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, T--

My measly donation won't make a dent in nat'l park problems such as pollution, over-development, and animal extinction, but perhaps, I'll create some awareness of the need.

In the long run, that's what we all hope to do when we try this, I think. And what starts out as measly one day could blossom into something bigger. Like, what if J. K. Rowling stated she wanted to give a percent of her profits to Someplace. That Someplace could be forever changed.

-Nancy Viau

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Hey Teri,
I've been away from readin gall my favorite blogs. But I am back now and all caught up on your postings. Sounds like you have some exciting htings in the works. THe Genesis Change sound really interesting too. And if anything can help you quite smoking the better! My mom was a smoker for all of her teen life and most of her adult life. She did quit and was smoke free for maybe 15 years. But still, she died of cancer at age 60. So QUIT TERRI! QUIT! Do it for your kids!!!

PJ Hoover said...

It is a way to combine, and I really like when I feel like the author is very committed to the cause.

Shari Green said...

I think it's a great way to raise awareness and contribute in some way - even if it's small. Sure, there will always be cynics, but overall I think it's very cool. Seems to me Mary Hershey had some way set up for her books to be donated to an organization that gave books to needy kids -- obviously I can't recall the details, lol, but it struck me as being win-win.

Keri Mikulski said...

I think it's a great idea and great way to give back.