Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Writing and The Economy

So I've been watching a lot on the economy and I'm wondering how it's going to affect writers.

As a freelancer, I get nervous whenever the economy dips and quite frankly, I've never seen a dip like this one. I am also worried because I don't as of the moment have another book contract and wonder what is going to happen to the publishing houses during this time.

At home, we are battening down the hatches and tightening the sails. No more credit card purchases unless absolutely necessary, stick to the meals plans I've been doing, plan cheaper meals, check out the grocery outlet stores, use less lights, less gas, less everything. Things we probably should have been doing all along.

We canceled our bathroom remodel and our contractor said we weren't the only ones. I feel for those kinds of businesses.. they will probably be the first ones hit.

I'm glad for my job now and we are waiting to hear on a nice city job for my son. Believe it or not, my eighteen-year-old son has serious connections in our small city. He was on the youth advisory council for four years, two as vice president and one as president. He knows the mayor, the city manager, various people in the parks department and several policemen. The assistant to the city manager thinks the sun rises and sets on him, so hopefully he'll get the job. (Knock wood)

Then that will make all four of us employed. Daughter pays for half her insurance and some of her essentials and both can start helping with gas. We also gave up skate lessons until she can afford to take them herself. Son's college is paid for as long as he keeps his scholarship.

We'll make it. We'll probably learn a thing or two on the way, things we used to know, like how to live on a tight budget! I'm sure our children will learn a lot! They've been spoiled for years.

What are you doing to survive the economy?

6 comments:

Kerry Blaisdell said...

Ditto, ditto, and ditto. Only my kids aren't old enough to work (legally, anyway *;?)). Trying to line up freelance work of my own, and DH is looking at a lateral transfer to a busier dept. We'll see....

The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

Thankfully, I got my bathroom remodels in right before the economy took a nosedive. Since then, I'm right there with you on no credit card spending unless absolutely necessary. I'm also trying to make a concerted effort to eat what all I have in my pantry and fridge/freezer, before going out and buying more groceries. I have a bad habit of going to the grocery store for one item and coming out with three bags of stuff I really don't need at that moment.

PJ Hoover said...

I'd like to cut the cable but my husband wants to watch golf.
Yeah, I don't know what I'm doing.

Heather Harper said...

Discount wine.

Anonymous said...

Those meal plans are a lifesaver on the budget. It's amazing how many things your don't really NEED when it comes right down to it.

Keri Mikulski said...

We've been cutting back for a few years.. Ever since I went from working full time to part time after our daughter was born. We stay with needs instead of wants.

During the day, my daughter and I walk to the bay or park, instead of jumping in the car to go somewhere all the time. I try to stay away from stores - if I'm there, I want to buy. And we're cutting the credit cards this weekend after we switch them to a 0% line. Urgh. Credit cards suck.