Sunday, June 19, 2005

Writing and family life....

Writing with a family can be challenging. I know many writers with small children are wondering what the heck I am talking about and yes, it is far more difficult to write with wee ones hanging on your knee than it is with the odd teen asking to be taken to the mall. But I figure that homeschooling makes up for it because I am with them ALL THE TIME!

Now don't get me wrong. I am not really complaining. I love homeschooling and quite frankly I love being with my kids. I love the we have raised them. We are, in many ways, extraordinarily close. I have a friend who has a teen who doesn't seem to see him much. He has school and friends and she has work and friends and their weekend social life seems to be just for the parents. She tells me that he is independent and I am all for independence... I don't want my kids hanging around me all the time... but I like being a family. I love going to the mall with my daughter and the movies with my son. I like having a bbq with no one but us.

Can this make it difficult for the writer? Yeah. Especially since my freelance writing career is so varied and busy. But there is a time for every season... my problem is that I am sort of in the flux of two different seasons.

There are so many choices for women to make now... we are definately in the best of days. Think about it. We can have our fulfilling career, leave that to have babies or try to do it at the same time, (good luck with that!) We can go back to our careers when the babies start flying the nest or even try something else! I read a fab article in TIME about how women are using the life crisis' of middle life to go in a completely different direction. It was interesting stuff.

Made me realize I need to savor the last few years I have with my kids. Also made me eager for the next part of my life.

3 comments:

Gena Showalter said...

Sometimes I'm so eager for "now" to hurry up so I can get to tomorrow, but you're right, I need to savor what I do have now!!

Anonymous said...

It can be tricky to balance with lots of choices, but you're right, having choice is a good thing :)

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » »